Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Writing Sample

Good Evening! I've been slowly working the writing and have a bit of a sample for you. First of all, here's a more defined and segmented story of the project:

General Plot

  1. Main character (heretofore referred as MC) lives in a small developing country during an alternate interwar period. He is balancing school work and a part-time job until he is drafted into the latest conflict between his country and one of its neighbors.
  2. MC is shipped off to the frontlines where he meets numerous characters and lives the daily life of war. Bonds develop and he observes and plays a part in the conflict. He spends his days fighting a villainized, relatively unknown enemy while watching some of his fellow in arms hypocritically perpetuating the same war crimes.
  3. During a large scale defense, he is knocked unconscious from a nearby artillery round - only to wake up a day later with his allies nowhere to be scene. With limited supplies he attempts to head home.
  4. Unbeknownst to him, the frontline in which he left from rapidly moves further away as he embarks on his journey home. As a solo traveler, MC will encounter not only the people directly affected by the war, but also the enemy that he had only fired at and never conversed with.
  5. Arcs will focus on individual areas or people - story is mostly character development with the emphasis of returning home.
  6. Overall, this is a Military Adventure/Drama VN.

These is the framework that I am operating off of, with each arc pretty much set with the series of events. Currently working on the prologue - sample below:

I awoke, my body protesting the awkward position I had slept in. There were no more rays of light in the car. With the night brought the wintery chill as the soft breeze came through the cabin.

While gingerly rubbing my ears, I nudged the gentleman next to me.

“We stop recently yet?”

“It’s been 5 hours since the last one, probably going to call it soon. Pretty sure most of us have gone through all of our food for the day”

I nodded then proceeded to open my pack. Several books, some crackers, empty tins, web gear, and some clothing peered back at me. Being too dark for reading, the crackers were the prime choice.

How much longer were we going to be on this train? There was no reply.

I munched on the stale crackers. They clung to the roof of my mouth, yet were satisfying enough. From my flask I had some water, metallic but refreshingly cold. The days had been mundane, from going from train to train.

It made sense though, they needed more reinforcements. To keep the momentum of our lines, a steady flux of bodies was necessary. If only we hadn’t been called up from the garrison and instead already there it’d make the trip much bearable.

The military wasn’t a terrible gig. I had been in school before, though not quite sure what I was going to do. The days were monotonous, but safe . However, they lacked the spice of adventure that I had been escaping to in literature.

I had gone to class, came home and studied. Rinse and repeat. Seen friends and talked about insignificant things as grasping small talk. Again, safe but not truly living.

I didn’t hate it, and I wasn’t terrible at it. It just felt like my life was going down a predictable path that would be leave me asking, “What if?”.

Which is why I didn’t particularly mind when I was drafted. Whisked from regularity I joined the nearest regiment, processed in, went through training , and was now aboard this train heading out as a unit.

Would I have been more upset if I had people to say farewell to? I’ll never know. These opportunities were common in the last 10 years, with sporadic conflicts and then temporary ceasefires.

Coming from a small country with a similarly sized neighbor tended to do that, especially if you’re both around much bigger players. Taking a quick guess, I would assume that we were now pretty far into that other neighbor with the front line.

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment